This week was a very stressful week and I was craving something sweet, so I decided to break open my cookbooks for a little baking therapy. I came across this beautiful chocolate cream pie recipe made with a crunchy chocolate cookie crust, decadent chocolate custard and lovely whipped cream with chocolate shavings on top.
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart's Recipe
Makes one 9-inch tart
For the crust
- 8 ounces chocolate wafers (35 wafers), broken into pieces (I used double chocolate Oreos)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
For the filling
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate (preferably 61 percent cacao), chopped
- Pinch of coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or bourbon
For the topping
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- Chocolate curls, for garnish
1. Make the crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor, pulse wafers until fine crumbs form. Add butter, sugar, and salt, and process until well combined. Press mixture firmly into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch fluted tart pan. Bake until crust is fragrant, about 15 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
2. Make the filling: In a medium saucepan, heat milk, egg yolks, sugar, and cornstarch over medium-high, whisking occasionally, until simmering. Reduce heat to medium and add chocolate. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until bubbling and thick, 4 to 5 minutes (about 2 minutes after it comes to a boil). Add salt and remove from heat. Stir in vanilla or bourbon. Let cool about 10 minutes, whisking 2 or 3 times.
3. Pour custard into baked and cooled crust. Press a piece of plastic wrap directly on surface of custard. Refrigerate until filling is firm, 4 hours or up to 1 day.
4. Make the topping: With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, whisk cream just until soft peaks form. Add confectioners' sugar and whisk until stiff peaks form. Spread whipped cream over custard. Garnish tart with chocolate curls just before serving.